This is a traditional recipe from eastern UP usually prepared during Makar Sankranti. It is a kind of substitute to dahi wada. It is usually spicy but you can relish it with sweet tamarind chutney. I like it spicy so here is how i make & relish it..
- Black Gram Skinned / Dhuli Urad Dal 2 cups
- Curd 4 -6 cups
- Cumin Seeds[jeera] 1 tsp
- Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Red Chili Powder 1tsp
- Cumin Powder 1tsp
- Dried Mint Powder 1tsp
- Black Salt 1 tsp
- Vegetable Oil 2 cups [For Deep Frying]
- Green Chili [as per taste]
- Ginger About 1 inche long
- Soak dal for about 4 hrs. Coarsly ground it by adding very small amount of water along with ginger,green chilli, cumin seeds,asafoetida,.Keep it aside for 15 min.
- Meanwhile add a glass of water in the curd & mix it well. Add remaining salt & all other spices in curd.Heat a wok & put oil to it. Wet your hand & make small balls of dal mix & deep fry.
- Take them on kitchen towel & then put these balls into the curd mix. Let them soaked for atleast 1 hr.These balls will absorb curd & the mix becomes thick. While eating you can top it up with some more cumin powder & mint powder.
- You can also add fresh chopped corriander. Serve at room temperature along with khichdi of your choice.
- You can serve it by adding green / tamarind chutney.