Gajar ka halwa is one if the most famous and edible Indian desert . I always used to make it in traditional style with milk on a slow flame for a couple of hours and enjoyed eating it but hated the time taken to cook this. So this version of Halwa with no use of dairy product was once shared by my mum-in-law. Here is her recipe..njoy
- Carrot 1/2 kg
- Sugar as per taste
- Cardomom Powder 1/4 tsp
- Chopped Cashews 2 tbsp
- Rasisins 1 tbsp
- Clarified Butter / Ghee 1 tbsp
- Kewra Essence few Drops
- Decicated Coconut [ optional]
- Wash, scratch & cut carrots into 1 inch pieces. Run them in a grinder for 30s-1min to form a coarse mix
- Heat a wok. Put coarsely ground carrot into it without any water or milk & cook covered for 7-8 min on a slow flame.Carrot will cook in its own water.
- Add sugar to taste I have added 1 cup . When the sugar is added it will look watery. Mix well. Add dry fruits , cardamom powder and ghee .Keep cooking on slow flame . Typically 6-7 min till the water gets dried up. Add Kewra essence.
- Serve it by garnishing it with more dry fruits and decicated coconut.
- You can use Beatroot/ Chukender instead of carrot.
- You can also take both in equal quantity