Red chili pickle is one amongst the most eaten pickles in India . As a kid I use to love it with plain rice & dal. Here is my simple recipe to make this. This time instead of using traditional thick red chillies those come specially for pickles I am using Kashmiri red chillies & its tasting really good.
- Fresh Red Chilli 250gm
- Fennel Seed Powder[Moti Sauf] 2tbsp
- Black Mustard Seed Powder[Kali Sarson] 2tbsp
- Fenugreek Powder [Methi] 1tbsp
- Red Chili Powder 1tbsp
- Dry Mango Powder[Amchoor] 2 tbsp
- Nigella seeds[Kalaungi] 1tsp
- Salt to taste 2tbsp approx
- Mustard oil 4 tbsp
- Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- ash & towel dry the red chilies & keep it under the sun for on hour or 2 hrs at room temperature so that there might not be any moisture left.
- Now remove the green stem take the white thing off with the help of a knife. Rub the chili between your palms with the cut part downwards and seeds start falling down so keep a dish below to collect those seeds. Now slit the chilies in center .
- Heat the mustard oil till smoking point and let it cool.Mix all the powdered spices and two tbsp oil which is cold now. Mix well.
- Fill this spice and oil mix into chilies with the help of a spoon one by one. Dip every single stuffed chili in remaining oil and keep it in a glass/stone jar.After all chilies are done pore the leftover oil if there is some in the chili jar.
- Keep it under the sun for 6-7 days or 8-10 days at room temperature. It is good to serve now.. You can keep it till 3 months outside refrigerator.
- If u want it little more hot you can add seeds to the filling & fill it back to chili. We are removing it to make enough space for filling.
- You can wear surgical gloves to avoid your hands burning if you are allergic to chili touch
- Rub some oil in your hands & then stuff it . This also prevents burning.