Kadhi is one among those delicacies which is made in different styles in different Indian states. Many people keep their kadhi simple with flavour of curd dominating.Here i am giving two different styles of tadka which will give entirely different taste to it.
- Fennel seeds [Sauf]1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds [Sarson black/yellow] 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds [Methi] 1/4 tsp
- Nigella seeds [Kalonji] 1/4 tsp
- Whole dried red chilli 2-4
- Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Mustard oil 1 table spoon
FOR SECOND TYPE OF TADKA :
- Black Cardamom 2
- Green Cardamom 4
- Bay Leaves 2-4
- Cinemon stick 1 inch
- Cloves 4
- Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
FOR KADHI PAKODAS & GRAVY:
- Mustard oil 6-8 table spoon [For Deep Frying]
- Water 1 Glass
- Buttermilk/Curd 1/2 l [ should be sour for better taste]
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli Powder 1 tsp [ optional ]
- Cumin Powder 1tsp
- Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
- Garlic 6-8 thick cloves
- Ginger 1 inch
- Green chillies as per tasteFOR KADHI PAKODAS & GRAVYGram Flour 250 g
- Take two tbsp gram flour and keep it aside. Take remaining flour into a bowl& mix water to it slowly with one hand & keep stirring with other to avoid formation of lumps . Only that much water is added that is sufficient to make a thick mix.
- Now use your hands and thoroughly mix the paste till it becomes light. To test that your batter is ready put a drop of batter in a bowl of water , if it floats it is ready & if it settles down it needs more mixing.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a wok . Add salt , cumin powder and a pinch of asafoetida in the mix . Put this mix in oil in small potions to get nice balls. Fry balls and keep them on kitchen towel.
- Ground ginger , garlic. and chili into thin paste. Mix this paste,the flour which we kept aside earlier, salt & turmeric into curd or buttermilk and dip these balls into it . Keep it for half an hour .
- Now in a deep pan put 1 tbsp mustard oil and heat. Add all the ingredients of tadka one. And pour the ball- curd mix into it. Add some water to it if it is thick. Cook on a high flame for two min by slowly stirring it. Reduce flame and cook for 5min.
- This is an optional step. Heat pure ghee add red chili powder to it & put it immediately over cooked kadhi. This needs to be carefully done because chili burns quickly. Relish it with steamed rice.
- To Make it With Tadka 2 : Boil curd-ball mix in a pan for 5-6 min . Add water to get desired consistency. Heat pure ghee in a tadka pan add all the ingredients of tadka 2 and pour it into boiling kadhi. Switch off the gas. Serve hot with rice
- If you want you can add onions potato, chilli , ginger and green coriander into gram flour mix to make pkodas for kadhi.
- There should not be any lumps formed while making it.