I have been introduced to this vegetable when I moved to Hyderabad as it is not very commonly seen in North.When I have heard is name first “Chow-Chow ” I thought it is some Chinese vegetable & has to be cooked that style. But when I googled about it I came to know it belongs to gourd family. So I tried to cook it like i sometimes cook bottelgourd using tomatoes & little amount of spices & it turned out yum..try this
- Chow Chow : 4 medium size
- Tomatoes Finally Chopped : 2 large
- Ginger Grated: 1/4 tsp
- Garlic Grated: 1/4 tsp
- Green chili Finally Chopped : As per taste
- Cumin Seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida: A pinch
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Vegetable oil : 1 tbsp
- Salt : As per Taste
Peel , wash & chop chow chow in cubes. Heat a wok. Put oil into it . Add asafoetida & cumin seeds. Once cumin stops spluttering add green chili.Cook for 1 min on medium flame.
Add tomatoes & salt to it. Cook covered for 2-3 min. Now add all spices , ginger & garlic.Mix chopped chow chow in this sauce . Cook covered for 2-3 min.
Add a half cup of water as it takes time to cook. Cook covered for 7-8 min.Check with the help of a fork if it is soft. Cook on high flame if there is excess water in it till it dries.
Serve garnish with gree coriander . Good to eat with roti & paratha.
- If you want you can add little more water to have some curry.
- Instead of garam masala you can use sabzi masala or kitchen king masala. It tastes good.