This is a very famous mix of vegetables usaually prepared as sides with dal chawal or roti/paratha in the state of Uttar Pradesh specially western part of it. This mix is very nutritous & taste really good..here is the recipe..
- Potato : 2 medium
- Bringal/Egg Plants: 4-5
- Spinach : 200gm
- Tomato : 2 medium
- Garlic Finally Chopped: 8-10pods
- Green Chili Finally Chopped: As per taste
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Oil : 1tbsp
- Asafoetida: A pinch
Peel potatoes & cut in cubes. Chop bringals in cube as well. wash & roughly chop spinach & tomato.
Heat a wok. Put mustard oil in it. once the oil starts fuming add asafoetida.garlic & chili. Cook on medium flame till garlic starts looking golden brown in colour.
Now add all the vegetables including tomato . Stir well. Cook covered for 15 min on slow flame.If there is any water left then cook on high flame without lid till all the water gets dried.
Serve as sides with roti/paratha or Dal Chawal.
- I always prefer mustard oil in my vegetables & curries as its pungent taste & smell gives different aroma & flavor to food. You can use vegetable oil instead.
- It will taste even better if you add dill & fenugreek leaves in it.100gm each.
A typical north-Indian breakfast is not completed without parathas. Although lot many people today look for quick breakfast preprations, there are many who still spent some time in making yummy parathas and enjoy it with their family.Here is a recipe made of spinac/palak which has a high fibre content along with mashed potatoes which has a high content of vitamin c. So it is very healthy family breakfast. Try this out..
Whole wheat Flour 2 cups
- Spinach Finally Chopped 2 cups
- Carom Seeds [Ajwain] 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Green chilly and Ginger Paste 1 tsp
- Salt 2-3 tea spoon [ or as per taste]
- Mashed Potatoes Medium Size 2-3
- Chat Masala 1 tsp
- Red chilli Powder as per taste
- Green Coriander Fanally chopped 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil 2tbsp
- FOR DOUGH: In a bowl take flour, carom seeds, asafoetida,salt and chilli ginger paste.MIx chopped spinach and make a nice dough.Rest it for 15 min.It should be soft enough so that while rolling the filling could be spread all over paratha.
- FOR FILLING: In mashed potatoes add chat masala salt and red chilli powder. Mix it well. Take a medium size ball of the dough roll it a little and put this filling on it.
- Carefully hold all sides of this rolled and filled thing , bring them together and seal them on top. See picture. Roll again with light hands so that filling might not come out.
- Heat a tawa or girdle. Put some vegetable oil on it carefully put rolled paratha on it. while putting paratha on tawa keep yourself slightly away from the tawa because sometimes oil comes up while doing this. Repeat same with rest of the dough.
- You can use cottage cheese instead of potato for filling
- Use small spoon to put oil/ghee on paratha , then it will never be more oily.