Kalonji is name for stuffed vegetables in the state of Uttar Pradesh specially west part of it. Kalonji masala is a roasted spice powder that can be mixed with some other spices or can be used as it is to fill in various vegetables like okra[bhindi], bitter gourd[karela] , pointed gourd[parwal],egg-plants[baingan], potato[aloo] etc. This masala can also be sprinkled over while cooking chopped okra. pumpkin or potato. So lets make it…
- Fennel Seeds[Sauf]: 50gm
- Fenugreek Seeds[Methi]: 25gm
- Black Mustard Seeds[Sarson]:25gm
- Nigella Seeds[Kalongi]:25gm
- Cumin Seeds[jeera]:25gm
- Dry Mango Powder[Amchoor]: As per Taste
- Dry roast everything one by one leaving amchoor powder. Now grind everything together . Mix amchoor when it cools down & store it in an airtight container.
- HOW TO USE: Make ginger garlic & onion paste with very less water. Add this spice powder , red chili powder ,salt & mustard oil to it. Mix well. Keep it aside for 1-2 hrs so that all water gets absorbed in the spices.
- Now stuff it into your favorite vegetable.
- This can be kept at room temperature for 3-4 months in an airtight container
- Keep it in a dry place
I have been introduced to this vegetable when I moved to Hyderabad as it is not very commonly seen in North.When I have heard is name first “Chow-Chow ” I thought it is some Chinese vegetable & has to be cooked that style. But when I googled about it I came to know it belongs to gourd family. So I tried to cook it like i sometimes cook bottelgourd using tomatoes & little amount of spices & it turned out yum..try this
- Chow Chow : 4 medium size
- Tomatoes Finally Chopped : 2 large
- Ginger Grated: 1/4 tsp
- Garlic Grated: 1/4 tsp
- Green chili Finally Chopped : As per taste
- Cumin Seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida: A pinch
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Vegetable oil : 1 tbsp
- Salt : As per Taste
Peel , wash & chop chow chow in cubes. Heat a wok. Put oil into it . Add asafoetida & cumin seeds. Once cumin stops spluttering add green chili.Cook for 1 min on medium flame.
Add tomatoes & salt to it. Cook covered for 2-3 min. Now add all spices , ginger & garlic.Mix chopped chow chow in this sauce . Cook covered for 2-3 min.
Add a half cup of water as it takes time to cook. Cook covered for 7-8 min.Check with the help of a fork if it is soft. Cook on high flame if there is excess water in it till it dries.
Serve garnish with gree coriander . Good to eat with roti & paratha.
- If you want you can add little more water to have some curry.
- Instead of garam masala you can use sabzi masala or kitchen king masala. It tastes good.
This is a very famous mix of vegetables usaually prepared as sides with dal chawal or roti/paratha in the state of Uttar Pradesh specially western part of it. This mix is very nutritous & taste really good..here is the recipe..
- Potato : 2 medium
- Bringal/Egg Plants: 4-5
- Spinach : 200gm
- Tomato : 2 medium
- Garlic Finally Chopped: 8-10pods
- Green Chili Finally Chopped: As per taste
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Oil : 1tbsp
- Asafoetida: A pinch
Peel potatoes & cut in cubes. Chop bringals in cube as well. wash & roughly chop spinach & tomato.
Heat a wok. Put mustard oil in it. once the oil starts fuming add asafoetida.garlic & chili. Cook on medium flame till garlic starts looking golden brown in colour.
Now add all the vegetables including tomato . Stir well. Cook covered for 15 min on slow flame.If there is any water left then cook on high flame without lid till all the water gets dried.
Serve as sides with roti/paratha or Dal Chawal.
- I always prefer mustard oil in my vegetables & curries as its pungent taste & smell gives different aroma & flavor to food. You can use vegetable oil instead.
- It will taste even better if you add dill & fenugreek leaves in it.100gm each.
Come winters and the market is flooded with lot of green vegetables. However an exception to this is freshly grown baby potato which is valued for its flavor This simple and spicy recipe will enhance its inherent flavor.
- New small potatoes 6-8
- Rice Floor 1 tbsp
- Ginger.Garlic & Chilli Paste 2tbsp
- Onion Paste 1tbsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Coriander Powder 1tsp
- Garam Masala Powder 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder as per taste
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste.
- Cumin Seeds 1/4 tsp
- Mustard oil 2tbsp
- Peel and par boil potatoes. In a bowl take rice powder and to this add ginger garlic chilli paste , spices and salt.Add little water to form a paste if it is too dry. Don’t add cumin seeds and oil here. Marinate Potatoes in this mixture.
- Heat a wok. Heat oil. Add Cumin seeds. Now put your potato mix in it. Cook on a high flame for 2 min. Then slow down the flame and cook for 5-6 min. Stir carefully in between. Flip and cook on other side as well till crisp.Serve hot .
- Cook on slow flame to avoid burning of spicy marinate.