Kalonji is name for stuffed vegetables in the state of Uttar Pradesh specially west part of it. Kalonji masala is a roasted spice powder that can be mixed with some other spices or can be used as it is to fill in various vegetables like okra[bhindi], bitter gourd[karela] , pointed gourd[parwal],egg-plants[baingan], potato[aloo] etc. This masala can also be sprinkled over while cooking chopped okra. pumpkin or potato. So lets make it…
- Fennel Seeds[Sauf]: 50gm
- Fenugreek Seeds[Methi]: 25gm
- Black Mustard Seeds[Sarson]:25gm
- Nigella Seeds[Kalongi]:25gm
- Cumin Seeds[jeera]:25gm
- Dry Mango Powder[Amchoor]: As per Taste
- Dry roast everything one by one leaving amchoor powder. Now grind everything together . Mix amchoor when it cools down & store it in an airtight container.
- HOW TO USE: Make ginger garlic & onion paste with very less water. Add this spice powder , red chili powder ,salt & mustard oil to it. Mix well. Keep it aside for 1-2 hrs so that all water gets absorbed in the spices.
- Now stuff it into your favorite vegetable.
- This can be kept at room temperature for 3-4 months in an airtight container
- Keep it in a dry place
A typical north-Indian breakfast is not completed without parathas. Although lot many people today look for quick breakfast preprations, there are many who still spent some time in making yummy parathas and enjoy it with their family.Here is a recipe made of spinac/palak which has a high fibre content along with mashed potatoes which has a high content of vitamin c. So it is very healthy family breakfast. Try this out..
Whole wheat Flour 2 cups
- Spinach Finally Chopped 2 cups
- Carom Seeds [Ajwain] 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Green chilly and Ginger Paste 1 tsp
- Salt 2-3 tea spoon [ or as per taste]
- Mashed Potatoes Medium Size 2-3
- Chat Masala 1 tsp
- Red chilli Powder as per taste
- Green Coriander Fanally chopped 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil 2tbsp
- FOR DOUGH: In a bowl take flour, carom seeds, asafoetida,salt and chilli ginger paste.MIx chopped spinach and make a nice dough.Rest it for 15 min.It should be soft enough so that while rolling the filling could be spread all over paratha.
- FOR FILLING: In mashed potatoes add chat masala salt and red chilli powder. Mix it well. Take a medium size ball of the dough roll it a little and put this filling on it.
- Carefully hold all sides of this rolled and filled thing , bring them together and seal them on top. See picture. Roll again with light hands so that filling might not come out.
- Heat a tawa or girdle. Put some vegetable oil on it carefully put rolled paratha on it. while putting paratha on tawa keep yourself slightly away from the tawa because sometimes oil comes up while doing this. Repeat same with rest of the dough.
- You can use cottage cheese instead of potato for filling
- Use small spoon to put oil/ghee on paratha , then it will never be more oily.