Chia seed is now a known super-food to all & mostly we use it in our daily breakfast cereals, smoothies, puddings or as sprinkles over salads . This time chia seeds are send to me by Go India Organic in association with Plattershare. I thought organic is some what desi concept & we Indians at some point of time used to produce organic food mainly. So I wanted to make something very Indian with this organic chia seed & i twisted my regular yogurt chutney by adding chia ,beetroot & lemon. Here is the recipe..
- Chia Seeds : 2 tbsp
- Beetroot : 1 medium size
- Mint Leaves : A handfull
- Yogurt : 4 tbsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder : 1 tsp
- Black Salt : 1 tsp
- Lemon A half : Deseeded & Chopped
- White Salt : As per Taste
- Green Chili : As per Taste
- Ginger : A half inch
- Boil beetroot in a pressure cooker with a cup of water. Let it cool , peel & roughly chop into small pieces. Now blend this with chia seeds & all other ingredients mentioned above . Your Chia Beetroot & Yogurt dip is ready.
- It tastes great with home made sun-dried potato chips.
- Chia seeds do not have its own taste . It acquires the taste of the food it is blend with.
- Drink lots of water when you consume chia seeds
This is a chutney for everyday use & can be relished with anything from dal chawal to dosas to chips… nachos… & will add nutritional value to your food too as it is made of greens & dal[lentil].Let’s make it…
- Split Bengal Gram / Chana Dal 2 tbsp
- Fresh Coriander leaves a bunch
- Fresh mint Leaves 2tbsp
- Green Chillies to taste
- Ginger 1/2 inch
- salt to taste
- Lemon juice 1/2-1 tbsp [as per taste]
- Mustard Oil 2tbsp
- Wash & soak Chana dal for 1 hr.
- Now grind it with all the ingredients mentioned above along with mustard oil. Add little water if required & its done..
- This can be kept in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- If you don’t like the pungent flavor of mustard oil just grind it with water & consume on the same day.
Ragi or finger millet is one of the most nutritious and healthy cereals loaded with calcium, proteins, iron and other minerals .When consumed as a chila that too with buttermilk it makes a great weight reduction recipe.Little bit of onions, ginger & chili adds flavor to this wonderful chila. Try this...
- Ragi flour: 1 cup
- Rice Flour/Samolina : 2 tbsp
- Butter Milk : 2 cups [ to make a batter of ragi flour]
- Onions Finally Chopped : 3-4 tbsp
- Green Chili Finally Chopped : As per taste
- Ginger Finally Chopped : 1/4 tsp
- Salt : As Per Taste
- Vegetable Oil: For Cooking
- Mix buttermilk in ragi flour slowly & whisk thoroughly using a whisker. Now add rice flour/ semolina & again mix it thoroughly. There should not be any lumps formed.The batter should not be too thin or thick. It should be of pouring consistency.
- Add chopped onions,ginger , chili & salt to the batter. Keep it aside for 30 min. The batter will acquire all the flavor.
- Heat a non stick pan or griddle. Once again mix everything well .Sprinkle 1 tsp of vegetable oil . Spread batter in round shape like chila on pan.Cook for 3 min & also sprinkle few drops of oil on chila.
- Now turn it upside down. Cook on the other side for 2-3 min & its done.
- Serve hot with you favorite chutney or sauce.
- Pan or Griddle shpuld be properly heated or else chila will stick on it & break while turning sides.
- If you are using a regular tawa then apply oil generously for first chila.
- The given quantity is sufficient for making 5-6 chilas.
This is one of the healthiest option for breakfast , lunch & even for dinner.It is also very good if you are on a weight loss regime as both moong chilka dal & oats are great source of protein & fibre.So these chilas are worth giving a try.Here is the recipe:
- Moong Chilka Dal:1 cup
- Oats: 1/2 cup
- Ginger: 1 inch
- Green Chili: as per taste
- Cimin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida : 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil : 1bsp
Soak moong dal for 2-3 hrs. now grind soaked dal in a grinder along with ginger , chili, cumin, asafoetida & salt.Keep the consistency little thin.
Now add oats to it. If u want you can powder oats first then add to it. If you are adding oats directly to it then mix well & keep the batter aside for 15 min. Add some water if the batter is too thick. Stir well. The batter should be of pouring consistency.
Heat a non stick pan or tawa.Sprinkle few drops of vegetable oil. Spread the batter on it in circular motion.Cook from both sides on medium flame for 2-3 min . Serve with your favorite Chutney or sauce.
- The given quantity will make 5-6 chilas.
- The batter should not be very thin else chillas will break while cooking.
As mercury is rising high we are switching to body coolants from our regular teas & coffees.Buttermilk is one such coolant which when consumed is like a cold pat in the scorching sun. Mint enhances its cooling properties and also helps in cleansing the body.You can have this drink daily with breakfast or lunch. It helps in digestion. You can even have it when you are going out in sun or you come back home…try this..
- Curd : 1 cup
- Mint Leaves[Podina] : A hand full
- Cumin Powder [Jeera] : 1/2 tsp
- Rock Salt[Sendha Namak] : As per taste
- Black Pepper Powder [Kali Mirch]: 1/4 tsp
Wash mint leaves & seperate stalks.Blend it with rest of the ingredients mentioned above along with a cup of chilled water. Serve cold. If you are having it with food have it at room temperature to avoid having hot & cold together.
- You can use black or white salt in place of rock salt.
- This will serve two people.
This is a very healthy protein packed breakfast recipe from South India.Sundal is usually made with dried & home cooked or canned beans like chick peas[Chole] , kidney beans[Rajma],Black eyed beans[Lobia] etc.Here I am using green beans which is used to make Poriyal & raw peanuts which is used in Sundal so it is a combination of Poriyal & Sundal…Try this protein packed stomach full of breakfast..
- Cow Peas[Lobia Phali] : 10-12
- French Beans : 10-12
- Cluster Beans [Gawar Phali]: 10-12
- Raw Peanuts : 1/2 cup
- Grated Fresh Coconut : 1/2 cup
- Ginger Finally Chopped : 1/2 tsp
- Green Chili Finally Chopped [As per Taste]
- Curry Leaves: 10-12
- Black Mustard Seeds : 1/4 tsp
- Vegetable oil 2tsp
- Turmeric : 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida: A pinch
- Lemon Juice [ optional] : 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Green Corriander [optional] : 1-2 tbsp
Chop all the beans into 1/2 inch pieces.Cook them with 1/2 cup of water in a pressure cooker until one whistle.Let the pressure cooker cool.Boil peanuts seperately with 1/2 cup of water in a pan or just fry them with one tsp oil on a tawa or griddle.
While the beans & peanuts are done heat a wok. Add oil to it. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds & asafoetida. Let it splutter & add then add green chilies , ginger & curry leaves.Cook for 1 min & add grated coconut along with turmeric.Cook for 5-6 min & stir inbetween.
Now add boiled beans & peanuts to it.Mix well.Add salt & lemon juice. Cook again for 4-5 min. Serve hot. You can garnish it with green coriander.
- You can use beans of your choice.
- Cook on medium/slow flame as we are using less oil.
As summer is already at its boom in Hyderabad watermelon is started showing up in every other lane. So to welcome summers I prepared this wonderful smoothie by mixing this super-cool fruit with chia seeds & pomegranate to increase its nutritive value.We all are aware of the benefits of pomegranate but for chia seeds I must say it is the most nutritious food known till today. It is loaded with fibers,proteins & omega 3 fatty acids. So take advantage of this super-food & enjoy this chilled on a hot summer morning or at room temperature on a not so hot morning. This keeps you fresh & rejuvenated for long hours…
- Water melon Cubes 2 cups
- Pomegranate Medium size 1
- Chia Seeds 2tsp
- Honey to taste [optional]
- Grated Ginger 1/2 tsp
- Ground black pepper 1/4 tsp
- Blend everything together. I have not taken off melon seeds & used pomegranate seeds. If you don’t like solids in your smoothie strain it. Alternatively you can take melon seeds off & use pomegranate juice. But using seeds add fiber to your drink.
- Add crushed ice. I prefer it at room temperature.
- When using seeds you have to blend it 2-3 times.
- Consume immediately because Chia seeds starts thickening your smoothie
- Strain before adding chia seeds else you will take this nutrition pack off your drink
Roti is an integral part of Indian diet & when it is made of yellow moong dal & gluten free flours like jowar[sorgum] & rice/gram it not only fill your stomach but also don’t add too much calories. Few spices added to it gives flavor as well as eliminates the need of additional sides like sabzi or dal…Enjoy this wonderful spicy roti.
- Yellow Moong Dal 1 cup
- Jowar[Sorgum] Flour 1 1/2 cup
- Rice/Gram Flour 1/2 cup
- Fennel Seed Powder[Moti Sauf] 2tsp
- Ground black pepper 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder [Dhania] 2tsp
- Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp
- Green Chili Finally 4-5 [as per taste]
- Ginger About 1 inche long
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil 1tbsp
- Soak moong dal for 4-5 hrs. Then grind it to a smooth paste with ginger ,chili , salt & all other spices mentioned above with a dash of water.
- In a bowl mix jowar flour & rice/gram flour. Add vegetable oil & rub the flour with both hands. To this add some salt & ground dal & knead a soft dough.Keep it to rest for 15 min.
- Now take a lemon size ball & roll it to 6-7 cm diameter . Cook from both sides on hot tawa & then directly on flame.
- Serve hot with chutney & buttermilk. You can also apply ghee on this roti.
- Cook roti on medium flame because you are using raw dal
- Eggeaterians can have this with poach egg.
Oats due to its availability & multiple use is becoming staple in our households. It not only tastes well but is a powerhouse of nutrients.So if you are not having it you are missing out a tasty way of supplying nutrients to your body. Try this soupy combination of oats & vegetables along with some seeds….& you are good with a stomach full of breakfast…
- Oats 5-6 tbsp
- Green beans Chopped 2tbsp
- Green/Yellow/Red bell peppers chopped 2-3tbsp
- Carrots chopped 2 tbsp
- Cabbage Chopped 2-3 tbsp
- Tomatoes Finally Chopped 2tbsp
- Onion Finally Chopped 2 tbsp
- Green Chili Finally Chopped [as per taste]
- Green Peas 1 tbsp
- Flex Seeds Powder 1 tbsp
- Hemp Seeds Powder 1tbsp
- Chia Seeds 1tbsp
- Pumpkin Seeds 1tbsp
- Melon Seeds 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper 1/4 tsp
- Fresh Green Coriander 2 tbsp
- In a pan boil about 11/2 glass of water. Once it starts boiling add all veggies tomato onion chili & salt. Cook covered for 6-7 min on medium flame Stir occasionally. If you have burnt too much water in this process add little more .
- Add oats & all the seeds & powders mentioned above. Add lemon juice too. Adjust salt. Mix well . Remember it should have a soup like consistency.Cook for 3 min on medium flame. Garnish with coriander leaves . Serve hot.
- You can add dried mixed herbs for extra flavor
- You can use your combination of vegetables. It also tastes good with carrot,beetroot,tomato & spinach combination.
This is a very healthy & refreshing meal for those who want to do a stomach full breakfast without adding too much calories & without missing any nutrient required to keep our body fit.You can have it daily.
- Buttermilk 1 glass
- Oats 2 tbsp
- Dates Finally Chopped 2
- Apple/Riped Papaya Small Cubes 1 cup
- Chia Seeds 1tsp
- Melon Seeds 1 tsp
- Pumpkin Seeds 1tsp
- Flex Seeds Powder 1 tsp
- Hemp Seeds Powder 1tsp
- Mix everything together in a large bowl & consume immediately.Fruits are sufficiently sweet but still for more sweetness honey can be added.
- You can use your combiation of fruits
- All the seeds mentioned above are available in supermarkets & online.